By Maureen Honey
Read Online or Download Aphrodite's Daughters: Three Modernist Poets of the Harlem Renaissance PDF
Best literary modernism criticism books
What's experimental literature? How has experimentation affected the process literary background, and the way is it shaping literary expression this day? Literary scan has continuously been assorted and hard, yet by no means extra so than in our age of electronic media and social networking, whilst the very class of the literary is coming less than extreme strain.
"First released in 1997, Routledge is an imprint of Taylor & Francis, an informa corporation. "
This examine introduces a real, provocative spiritual vocabulary into the discourse on Modernist artwork and literature. Mulman appears at key texts and figures of the fashionable interval, together with Henry Roth, Amedeo Modigliani, James Joyce, and paintings Spiegelman, revealing an important engagement with the rituals of Jewish observance and the constitution of Talmudic interpretation.
Starting with a refined and persuasive research of the cultural context, Farebrother examines college in modernist and Harlem Renaissance figurative artwork and finds the university sensibility attendant in Franz Boas's anthropology. This method makes specific the formal offerings of Harlem Renaissance writers by way of interpreting them in mild of African American vernacular tradition and early twentieth-century discourses of anthropology, cultural nationalism and overseas modernism.
- Modernism and Time: The Logic of Abundance in Literature, Science, and Culture, 1880–1930
- Reading Mina Loy’s Autobiographies: Myth of the Modern Woman (Historicizing Modernism)
- Women, Modernism and British Poetry, 1910–1939: Resisting Femininity
- Modernism and the Marketplace: Literary Culture and Consumer Capitalism in Rhys, Woolf, Stein, and Nella Larsen (Literary Criticism and Cultural Theory)
- Writing Celebrity: Stein, Fitzgerald, and the Modern(ist) Art of Self-Fashioning (American Literature Readings in the 21st Century)
Extra info for Aphrodite's Daughters: Three Modernist Poets of the Harlem Renaissance