By Laurence W. Mazzeno,Ronald D. Morrison
Read Online or Download Animals in Victorian Literature and Culture: Contexts for Criticism (Palgrave Studies in Animals and Literature) PDF
Best literary victorian criticism books
The Victorian interval was once a time of quick cultural swap, which ended in an enormous and sundry literary output. a brand new better half to Victorian Literature and tradition deals skilled information to the literature of nineteenth-century Britain and its social and ancient context. This revised and elevated version includes contributions from over 30 major students who, coming near near the Victorian epoch from various positions and traditions, delve into the unruly complexities of the Victorian mind's eye.
This ebook addresses a seriously ignored style utilized by girls writers from Gaskell to Woolf to complicate Victorian and modernist notions of gender and social house. Their cutting edge brief tales ask Britons to re-evaluate the place ladies may perhaps dwell, how they can be pointed out, and whether or not they will be contained.
Oceania, or the South Pacific, loomed huge within the Victorian renowned mind's eye. It was once an international that the Victorians for plenty of purposes, all of which recommended to them that every little thing was once attainable there. This selection of essays makes a speciality of Oceania’s effect on Victorian tradition, so much significantly go back and forth writing, images, foreign exhibitions, literature, and the area of youngsters.
In 1870, Dante Gabriel Rossetti released the 1st model of his sonnet series the home of existence. the following thirty years observed the best flourishing of the sonnet series because the 1590s. John Holmes's rigorously researched and eloquent examine illuminates how prime sonneteers, together with the Rossettis, John Addington Symonds, Wilfrid Blunt and Augusta Webster, and their early twentieth-century successors Rosa Newmarch and Rupert Brooke, addressed the pressing questions of selfhood, non secular trust and doubt, and sexual and nationwide id which overdue Victorian England.
- Manliness and the Male Novelist in Victorian Literature (The Nineteenth Century Series)
- The Quest for Shakespeare: The Peculiar History and Surprising Legacy of the New Shakspere Society
- Charles Dickens and the Sciences of Childhood: Popular Medicine, Child Health and Victorian Culture (Palgrave Studies in Nineteenth-Century Writing and Culture)
- Emily Dickinson: A Celebration for Readers: Volume 3 (Routledge Library Editions: Victorian Poetry)
- Thomas Hardy, Sensationalism, and the Melodramatic Mode
- A Complete Identity: The Youthful Hero in the Work of G. A. Henty and George MacDonald
Additional resources for Animals in Victorian Literature and Culture: Contexts for Criticism (Palgrave Studies in Animals and Literature)